For the Hush Puppy:
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. fish fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces (I used cod)
- 1/2 cup fish-fry mix
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. dill pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish
Heat 1/4 cup canola oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet until almost smoking.
Dredge each fish piece in fish-fry mix, then fry, on only one side, about 2 minutes.
Pour hush puppy batter over the fish in skillet.
Transfer skillet to oven and bake until hush puppy is golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes, then loosen edges with a knife. Invert onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve with ketchup tartar sauce.
~Adapted from Cuisine at Home