This tropical ambrosia cake is made with angel food cake, pineapple curd and orange frosting. It's heavenly! If you can buy a store-bought angel food cake - your half way there! It's a perfectly light, cool dessert for the summer.
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups buttercream frosting
- 1 tsp. grated zest plus 2 tsp. juice from 1 orange
- 1 (9-inch) angel food cake
- 1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into quarters
For the orange frosting: Mix frosting with orange zest and juice.*
To assemble: Cut cake horizontally into 4 even layers. Place bottom layer on platter. Spread 1/2 cup orange frosting over cake and top with orange slices in a circular pattern. Place next layer on and spread with pineapple curd. Top with next cake layer and spread with another 1/2 cup orange frosting and orange slices. Finish with top layer and coat top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Press toasted coconut into sides and decorate with orange and pineapple slices.
To toast coconut: Place coconut on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until evenly toasted.
~Adapted from Cook's Country