Slow-Cooker Hot & Sour Soup
- 12 fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (or black Chinese mushrooms if you can find them)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 by 2 inch sticks
- 2 8-ounce cans bamboo shoots rinsed
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. chile-garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil (or to your liking)
- 3 cups lo mein noodles (optional)
- 1 cup sliced scallions
Combine broth, both vinegars, soy sauce, chile-garlic sauce and ginger in a bowl; add to slow cooker.
Cover and cook 4 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low.
Whisk 1/3 cup of water, cornstarch and sesame oil in a bowl. Stir into soup. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes. Stir in noodles (if using) and heat through for 10 minutes. Top with scallions.
To Make Ahead: Prep mushrooms and veggies; combine the liquids and ginger and refrigerate separately.
~Adapted from Eating Well