- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can (12 oz.) plus 3/4 cup Dr. Pepper (2-1/4 cups total) You could also use Cherry Cola
- 1 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
- 1 cup black cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. molasses
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced chipotle in adobo sauce (you can add more if you like)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Sweat onion and garlic in oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, 5-7 minutes. Add Dr. Pepper, chili sauce, preserves, vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire, lemon juice and chipotle; cook until thick and reduced to 4 cups, about 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. The sauce will be a little chunky. If you would rather have a smoother sauce, process in a blender to puree it.
I submitted this BBQ sauce to Lodge Cast Iron BBQ Contest and won the contest! I received the BBQ Sauce Kit, and the latest Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook. Isn't that little pot just the bees knees!