Our good friend Lynn over at Happier than a Pig in Mud has a monthly celebrity cook-along and I missed two of them. This is a recipe from Rachael Ray that I have had for about 8 years. It's great for parties or when you are having friends over for the Superbowl.
Pico de Gallo Salsa:
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped (or substitute parsley if you hate cilantro)
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 lb. ground sirloin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 lb. pepper jack cheese, shredded; about 2-1/2 cups
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, garlic, onion and pepper to the pan and saute 2 minutes. Add meat and crumble with a spoon and cook until no longer pink. Season with salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper sauce. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in beans and reduce heat to low. Simmer until beans are heated through.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook for a minute or two to take out raw flour taste. Add milk and bring to a simmer and cook until thickened. Off heat, add cheese and stir until melted and combined.
Arrange a mixture or tortilla chips on a platter and pile it up! You can add sour cream, chopped scallions, black olives, sliced avocado and really make them SUPER!