- 2 (3-4 lbs.) roasting chickens
- 2 large yellow onions, unpeeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled and halved
- 4 celery stalks with leaves, cut in thirds
- 3 parsnips, unpeeled and cut in half
- 20 fresh parsley sprigs
- 15 thyme sprigs
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in half crosswise
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim any foam that comes to the surface. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for 4 hours.
You can see how rich this stock is!
Containers of chicken stock will last for 5 days refrigerated and for 6 months in the freezer.
Freezing Tip: Freeze some in 1 cup containers for quick meals or in ice cube trays to add to sauces.
Turkey Tip: Check out the recipe for Roasted Turkey Stock. Make it ahead for your Thanksgiving recipes!
We never have enough gravy for leftovers, so I'll make this a few days ahead.