My son loves these pickled green tomatoes and he's given me subtle hints recently. So here is the last of the garden - two quarts of pickled green tomatoes. No processing involved as these keep so well in the fridge for months.
- 1 lb. green tomatoes (cut into chunks or sliced)
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup salt (kosher or pickling salt)
- 1 tsp. celery seed (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Chili flakes (optional for a little heat)
- Glass containers with lids
Sterilize glass containers.
Place tomatoes in glass containers. Add 1 clove of garlic to each along with 1/2 tsp. celery seed. Add hot brine to cover. Allow to cool, then cover and put in the fridge. Wait a few days for the flavors to meld.