Apple Butter is very easy to make with the help of a CrockPot. When it comes to filling your house with yummy scents and filling your tummy with warm, spicy, goodness, nothing beats homemade Apple Butter.
I thought I had thrown away my canning pot. When I went up to the attic for Fall decorations, there it was - all dusty and lonely and forgotten. I would have made this without the canning pot and just gave away most of it - but now I can keep it all to myself!!!! (I may give one or two away).
I searched several CrockPot Apple Butter recipes for the one that appealed to me most. I was NOT about to peel 4 lbs. of apples, and I found a recipe that didn't require peeling or coring (much of the pectin is in the cores and flavor and vitamins in the peels) so I chose this method.
- 4 lbs. of good cooking apples, about 16 (I used Gala and Fuji and two Granny Smith)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Put them into a large pot, add the vinegar and water, cover, bring to a boil, reduced heat to simmer and cook until the apples are soft, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Wash and dry jars and lids.
- While you're filling your jars (to within 1/2" of top) with your warm apple butter you should have your water bath heating up.
- Once the jars are filled, wipe the rims with a damp cloth and screw on the lid (don't over tighten).
- Place jars in the water canning rack, lower into the canner, make sure they are covered with water by at least 1" and turn up the heat.
- Once you reach a boil, boil for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove jars from the canner and sit on a dry towel.
- Sit and listen. Plink, Plink, Plink - the jars will seal as they cool on the towel. Wipe jars clean and store or add your own special touches to give away as gifts.
What else can you do with apple butter besides spreading on toast, homemade biscuits, waffles or pancakes? Here are a few recipes that you might like:
Apple Butter Cake, Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie.