It's a Mexican Fiesta! Celebrating with #SundaySupper!
In the early hours of September 16th, 1810, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a priest in the small town of Dolores, Guanajuato, rang the church bell to gather the townspeople. He called for the people of Mexico to rise up against the Spanish Crown, thus initiating Mexico's War of Independence. The country did not achieve independence until 1821, but it is this event, known as the Grito de Dolores which is commemorated every year in town squares across Mexico.
Grab an icy Margarita and let's get the party started!
You might want to start with this hearty breakfast before you start downing those margaritas. I love salsa with my eggs, scrambled or omelets - I always add some salsa or hot sauce. This recipe for Huevos rancheros, the gorgeous mess of fried eggs smothered in a spicy tomato sauce, served over warm tortillas with rice and refried beans has become a favorite on both sides of the border. Saying Buenas Dias with this hearty dish makes it a very good morning indeed.
- 12 plum tomatoes, cored
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, stemmed and minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Peel the tomatoes, puree in a blender, strain through a sieve
or a food mill and set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp. canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, jalapenos, and onions and cook until soft, 6-8 minutes. Add the tomato puree and bring to a boil. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes until slightly reduced. Keep warm.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tortillas to the skillet and cook, flipping once, until warmed and slightly golden.
In the same skillet, carefull break 2 eggs into pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When whites are set and edges cooked, add 1 Tbsp. water. Cover skillet and cook eggs to desired doneness.
Top each tortilla with a fried egg and tomato sauce. Garnish with pickled jalapeno slices. Serve with rice and refried beans. Add some pico de gallo, montery jack cheese and sour cream to top it all off!
Join us around the family table this week for our #SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta - this is a party that you won't want to miss. We hope to inspire you with these mouthwatering recipes from our talented contributors. We will be sharing them all day long and would love for you to share your favorite Mexican and Mexican-inspired recipes during our #SundaySupper live chat at 7pm (Eastern).
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise - Mama's Blissful Bites
- Mini Taco Salads - Big Bear's Wife
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe - Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables - Diabetic Foodie
- Tamales - A Family Tradition - Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Fiesta in La Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Enmoladas (Chicken Mole Enchiladas) - The Meltaways
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa- Chattering Kitchen
- Quick and Easy Fiesta Rice - Granny's Down Home Southern Cooking
- Carnitas - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada - Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle - Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo - Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce - Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas - Hezzi D's Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso - Momma's Meals
- Baked Flautas - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos - Pippi's in the Kitchen Again
- Chiles Rellenos with Ranchero Sauce - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas - Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos - Tora's Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas - Juanita's Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies - Kwistin's Favorites
- Empanadas - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas - The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas - That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita - Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas - I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita - Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day (this coming Sunday, September 16) during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite recipes for a Mexican Fiesta! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your Mexican Fiesta recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
~Adapted from Saveur